Sunday, September 6, 2009

no respecter of nations


The Word for today:
2 Samuel 21

mark this: 21:1


I don't fear what other nations might do as much as I fear what God might do.

What I fear in America are the choices of Americans--choices in lifestyle; choices in the voting booth. I fear our choices concerning God's standards, God's Word, God's Son.

America in so many ways has chosen to withdraw from God. What I fear is that God, no longer able to acquiesce to our choices, will have to withdraw His hand of blessing and protection over our nation.

What I fear is that God will keep His Word. In fact, I know He will.

Our scripture today indicates that God deals with nations. God judges nations. God holds nations responsible--it does not make any difference what nation it is. God judged Egypt. God judged Babylon. God judged Assyria, Greece, and Rome. And God will judge America.

His judgment, as indicated in our passage today, need not be dramatic. It wasn't lightning and thunder, fire and brimstone, earthquake or plague which overtook Israel. It was not something at all. It was a famine--a lack of something--which overtook Israel. God had withdrawn His blessing.

I certainly do not know if God's hand of blessing over America has been withdrawn. What I know from scripture is that God is no respecter of persons (1): if he judges Sally, he'll judge Sue. And He is no respecter of nations: if He judges Israel, He'll judge America, too.

He judged His very own Son--the apple of His eye (2)--when my sins were placed upon Him at the cross.

Any sins--personal or national--not placed upon Jesus through faith will be judged. God's Word says so.

(1) Acts 10:34; (2) Zechariah 2:8

No comments:

Post a Comment