Wednesday, September 28, 2011

hearts in sync



The Word for today:
Proverbs 6, 7

So taken was I with Pastor Joe's article yesterday--"how's your heart?"--that I decided to pursue the topic further. 

Thus I set out to explore Psalms and Proverbs in search of the heart.  I intended to summarize what I found in this article today.

But I found too much heart to summarize.  So I'll simply show you what I found and let you synchronize the beat of your heart with the heart of God...


Psalms: 
God gives his whole heart.
(The word heart appears in Psalms 125 times.)


Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoices; My flesh also will rest in hope. For You will not leave my soul in Sheol, Nor will You allow Your Holy One to see corruption. (Psalms 16:9-10)

I am poured out like water, and all My bones are out of joint; My heart is like wax; It has melted within Me. My strength is dried up like a potsherd, and My tongue clings to My jaws; You have brought Me to the dust of death. For dogs have surrounded Me; The congregation of the wicked has enclosed Me. They pierced My hands and My feet.  (Psalms 22:14-16)

The poor shall eat and be satisfied; those who seek Him will praise the Lord. Let your heart live forever! (Psalms 22:26)

The counsel of the Lord stands forever, the plans of His heart to all generations. (Psalms 33:11)

I have not hidden Your righteousness within my heart; I have declared Your faithfulness and Your salvation; I have not concealed Your lovingkindness and Your truth from the great assembly. (Psalms 40:10)

Reproach has broken my heart, and I am full of heaviness; I looked for someone to take pity, but there was none; and for comforters, but I found none. They also gave me gall for my food, and for my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink. (Psalms 69:20-21)

So he shepherded them according to the integrity of his heart, and guided them by the skillfulness of his hands. (Psalms 78:72)

My heart is stricken and withered like grass; so that I forget to eat my bread….You will arise and have mercy upon Zion; for the time to favor her, yes, the set time, has come.  (Psalm 102:4…13) 

For I am poor and needy, and my heart is wounded within me.  (Psalm 109:22-27.  Verse 25: cf. Psalm 22:7; Jeremiah 18:16; Lamentations 1:12)) 

He heals the broken in heart, and binds up their wounds.
He counts the number of the stars; He calls them all by name.  (Psalm 147:3-4) 
(He knows the stars; He made them.  He knows the broken heart; He had one.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proverbs: 
Give your whole heart to God.
(The word heart appears in Proverbs 81 times.)


Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.  (Proverbs 3:5-6)


He also taught me, and said to me: "Let your heart retain my words; keep my commands, and live." (Proverbs 4:4)

My son, give attention to my words; incline your ear to my sayings. Do not let them depart from your eyes; Keep them in the midst of your heart; for they are life to those who find them, and health to all their flesh. (Proverbs 4:20-22)

Keep your heart with all diligence, for out of it spring the issues of life. (Proverbs 4:23)

My son, keep my words, and treasure my commands within you. Keep my commands and live, and my law as the apple of your eye. Bind them on your fingers; write them on the tablet of your heart. Say to wisdom, "You are my sister," and call understanding your nearest kin.  (Proverbs 7:1-4)

The heart of the righteous studies how to answer, but the mouth of the wicked pours forth evil. (Proverbs 15:28)

A man's heart plans his way, but the LORD directs his steps.  (Proverbs 16:9)

Before destruction the heart of a man is haughty, and before honor is humility. (Proverbs 18:12)

Who can say, "I have made my heart clean, I am pure from my sin"?  (Proverbs 20:9)

The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD, like the rivers of water; He turns it wherever He wishes.
(Proverbs 21:1)

My son, if your heart is wise, my heart will rejoice--indeed, I myself.
(Proverbs 23:15)

Do not let your heart envy sinners, but be zealous for the fear of the LORD all the day. (Proverbs 23:17; cf. Proverbs 9:10)

Hear, my son, and be wise; and guide your heart in the way.  (Proverbs 23:19)

My son, give me your heart, And let your eyes observe my ways. (Proverbs 23:26)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment