Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Closer.



The Word for today:
Job 40:6 -- 42:6


mark this:
I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear,
But now my eye sees You.
Therefore I abhor myself, And repent in dust and ashes.
(Job 42:5-6)


Any understanding of the book of Job must arise out of these 2 verses. Job has reached a new comprehension of God. He is in a new relationship.

Repentance at its core is an acknowledgement of the truth.

Here is a sampling of some statements of repentance. Feel free to pray whichever of them fits your situation:

"You are God, and I am not." Praying this prayer of repentance, we enter into a brand new relationship with God.

"I cannot fix this life that I've broken. I tried every way I knew before I decided to try your way. Help me to do it your way this time." Praying this prayer of repentance, we enter into a brand new relationship with God.

"I had You figured. I was sure I could predict your next move. I'm sorry I boxed you in." Praying this prayer of repentance, we enter into a brand new relationship with God.

"I wondered where you were when I needed you. I'm sorry I doubted your heart and intentions." Praying this prayer of repentance, we enter into a brand new relationship with God.

You get the picture. I've prayed all of these and a thousand more. With every prayer of repentance, we open a gift--a brand new relationship with God.

For the child of God, repentance isn't about rules. It's about entering into a deeper trust and a deeper understanding--a deeper relationship with Jesus.

I had heard that the book of Job was a study in patience. Oh dear.

I had heard that the book of Job was about the question of why bad things happen to good people. Oh double dear.

I had heard that the book of Job was about repentance. I was getting closer.

Closer. That's where Job is at the end of the book. The book of Job is about relationship. The book of Job is about love.

(to be continued in tomorrow's post...)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment