Friday, September 7, 2012

like a Rock



The Word for today:
2 Samuel 22


mark this: 2 Samuel 22:2-4 --
The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer;
The God of my strength, in whom I will trust;
My shield and the horn of my salvation,
My stronghold and my refuge;
My Savior, You save me from violence.
I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised;
So shall I be saved from my enemies.



In the Bible, relationship with God is life: those who are saved will forever be with God!

The unsaved don't die in the sense that they cease to exist. They continue to exist forever, but they die in the Biblical sense--they are forever separated from God.

Life, then, does not consist of breath or consciousness. Life consists of God.

When we have a right relationship with God restored through faith in Jesus Christ, we are enabled to really live.

David, the great poet, recognized God in all the experiences of life. Our chapter today--nearly word for word the same as Psalm 18--celebrates David's deliverance from his enemies and from death:
I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised; So shall I be saved from my enemies.
Through faith in Christ, we also have been rescued from spiritual death at the hands of our enemies.

The more we study the Bible, the richer and deeper its words become. "The LORD is my rock" has some poetic meaning to the person unfamiliar with scripture; a rock is permanent, unmovable. But the Bible student who has followed the Rock, Jesus Christ (1), as He rolls all the way through the Bible--from Genesis to Gethsemane to Golgotha to glory--is blessed with a richness of meaning far, far beyond the mere natural understanding of a physical object.

So call upon the LORD Jesus Christ, the Rock. Build your life upon Him (2). So shall you be saved from your enemies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(1) see 1 Corinthians 10:1-4; (2) see Matthew 7:24-25

No comments:

Post a Comment