Tuesday, September 4, 2012

the King is more than enough for me



The Word for today:
2 Samuel 19:9-39

mark this: 2 Samuel 19:24-30



[If you haven't met Mephibosheth, look here.]

Remember, Mephibosheth is you and I. All the time David was gone, Mephibosheth was sad. He longed for the King to come back.

The redeemed, purchased out of the slavery of sin by the blood of Christ, miss Jesus and we long for his return.

While the King is gone, the world will slander us--as Ziba slandered Mephibosheth. Ziba lied when he told David that Mephibosheth wanted to rebel against him (1). Nothing could be further from the truth.

When David tells Mephibosheth to divide the land with Ziba, we see the same wisdom that David's son Solomon will display. When two women came before Solomon with one living baby, both claiming the baby as their own, Solomon said, “Divide the baby. You may each have half.” It was the real mother who said, “No! Let her have it. I give up my rights so that my baby might live” (2).

So when Mephibosheth said to David, “I don’t care about the land. I’m just glad you’re back" (3), David knew it was Mephibosheth who had been telling the truth all along. It was the fact that Mephibosheth desired the giver more than the gifts that showed his true allegiance.

Mephibosheth: crippled, forgiven, restored, showered with blessings; the King even gave him a permanent place at his table--honoring him as one of his own sons!

This is precisely the position that those who trust Jesus find themselves in.

Let's be grateful, like Mephibosheth. Let's look forward to the King's return. And let's say to our King, "I don't care about gifts. I just want You."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(1) 2 Samuel 16:3; (2) see 1 Kings 3; (3) 2 Samuel 19:30

No comments:

Post a Comment