Friday, May 16, 2014

I don't know where I'm going, but I know the Way

The Word for today:
Psalm 5
mark this: Psalm 5:3 --
My voice You shall hear in the morning, O Lord;
In the morning I will direct it to You,
And I will look up.
I don't know where I'm going.
But that doesn't bother me. In fact, the unknown is what lends life a sense of adventure and drama. There's a certain measure of fear in the unknown but you have to admit that there's a measure of thrill in there as well.
And I know how to minimize the fear and maximize the thrill!
Our entire relationship with God is based on trust. So, just as salvation is received by trust, so too is God's guidance:
Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct your paths.
 (Proverbs 3:5-6)
That scripture, Proverbs 3:5-6, just happens to be my wife Shelley's "life verse." So I encounter it often. I hear her recite it to our sons, and we even have it carved into a plaque that hangs on the kitchen wall.
So I've thought about it more than a few times. And I've come to the conclusion that faith makes rational sense!
I mean, why would we lean on our own understanding when we don't even know what the next minute will bring?
And why wouldn't we entrust our lives to someone who sees the end from the beginning--who will never be surprised by the headlines in tomorrow's newspaper, and who always has our best interests at heart.
Psalm 5 is a prayer for guidance, so don't just read it, pray it!--
Lead me in the right path, O LORD, or my enemies will conquer me. Tell me clearly what to do, and show me which way to turn. (Psalms 5:8/NLT)
Whenever you can, pray Psalm 5 early--the earlier the better:
My voice You shall hear in the morning, O Lord;
In the morning I will direct it to You,
And I will look up.
 (Psalms 5:3)
"And I will look up."
That's the thrilling part! It's an acknowledgement that the answer is not within us, so we will seek it outside of ourselves. It also conveys anticipation and expectation as we look up for his guidance and forward to what he has in store for us each day.
Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life (John 14:6). You don't have to know where you're going when you know the Way.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment