Monday, August 11, 2014

That's the Spirit! (part 2)

The Word for today:
Psalms 13, 14
Yesterday we saw what walking in the Spirit is not. Today we'll take a look at what it is:
1. Walking in the Spirit is a commitment to walk like Jesus did.
As an example for us, Jesus set aside his omniscience, forcing him to depend--as we must--on the guidance of the Holy Spirit:
And Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit in the wilderness. (1)
To become one like us, He also set aside his omnipotence, forcing him to depend--as we must--on the power of the Holy Spirit:
And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit to Galilee, and a report about him went out through all the surrounding country. (2)
2. Walking by the Spirit means we must abandon ourselves to the supernatural.
Jesus said it is like allowing the wind to have its way in our lives:
"The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit." (3)
3. Walking by the Spirit is accomplished from start to finish by faith.
For the gospel reveals how God puts people right with himself: it is through faith from beginning to end. (4)
4. Walking by the Spirit sees right through time and circumstance.
It sees beyond what our eyes are telling us, in order to see with the eyes of God:
We walk by faith, not by sight. (5)
Jesus Christ walked by the Spirit, by faith, all the way to the cross. It certainly did not appear to natural eyes that he was "winning." But the eyes of the Spirit saw it otherwise…
***
Q. How do I get going?
A. First determine what you are not going to do:
I am not going to make this about self-reformation or about self-anything.
I am not going to wait until I'm more experienced or until I've taken a course.
Q. Alright. Then what?
A. Make a commitment:
I commit my life to the power and direction of the Holy Spirit. I'm going to do things God's way and depend on him to figure out where all this is taking us.
I don't know all of what this entails, but I'm going to commit now and learn more later.
I don't know where this is taking me, but I know whom I trust:
I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him. (2 Timothy 1:12)
***
If the desire of your heart sounds like what you just read, then you are walking by the Spirit. God's cheering you on, so go ahead and take a step...
That's sensational!
Now take another…
That's supernatural!
Now another…
That's the Spirit!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(1) Luke 4:1; (2) Luke 4:14; (3) see John 3:8; (4) Romans 1:17; (5) 2 Corinthians 5:7

No comments:

Post a Comment