Monday, September 21, 2015

this is your song

The Word for today:
Psalms 70 & 71
I cry at Psalm 88.
I take courage in Psalm 23.
I avert my eyes from Psalm 22.
I share the shame in Psalm 51.
I thirst in Psalm 63.
Having entered Psalm 91, I am held in its sway, unwilling to leave it.
All of creation sings Psalm 103 in flawless unison, in harmony so perfect as to be one voice.
Psalm 119--all 176 verses--is a long list of my priority. That's right, my single priority.
Psalm 139 is too personal for me to share.
And...
I have an old Gideon Bible, an old KJV. Its cover came off, so cover and pages are now joined by a rubber band. I get a kick out of it, because much of the Bible back then, ten years ago, was uncharted territory. I don't know where I was or what I was up to, but in big letters next to Psalm 71, it says this:
"I love Psalm 71."
That's it. No explanation, just gushing love.
I run every day, no matter the month of the year or my season in life. I know a lot of runners. Many of them run with MP3's. Many of them listen to a pre-set selection as they run. Out of 5000 songs, they pick a dozen--the same dozen every day--and when the set is over, so is that day's run.
There are 150 Psalms. Every one of them is somebody's favorite song.
Listen to all of them, but it's OK to play favorites. Play 'em again and again and again. Play 'em 'til you run out of time.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment